A passport is a piece of (usually in form small leaflets) travel document issued to citizens of a country by their government to serve as a means of identification and nationality of a country, for international travel purposes.
One of the important documents you should have in your possession when traveling is an international passport. If you would like to know the requirements for an international passport in Nigeria, this post will prove to be a helpful tool.
Foreign International passports are small booklets containing the name of the holder, date, and place of birth, issuance date, expiration date, unique passport number, photograph and signature of the passport holder and other biodata. There may be various forms of passports, depending on the home country and passport holder’s status.
An average ‘Nigerian aspiration‘ that is widely spoken of is to travel, live and work abroad. This is a result of the harsh environment, the high unemployment rate and the degree of poverty in the country, these, in turn, are making the numbers of Nigerians fleeing to the West–in search of greener pasture to be on the increase daily.
Price of Nigeria International Passport (32 & 64 Page leaflet)
As published on The Punch Newspaper, the current cost of applying for Nigerian international passport today is:
- 32-page five-year standard passport is set at around ₦25,000;
- 64-page five-year standard passport is set at around ₦35,000;
- 64-page 10-year standard passport is set at around ₦70,000
Requirements For International Passport In Nigeria (Documents)
The requirements to get an international passport in Nigeria are enormous. However, we will try to simplify the process to make it comprehensive for you.
Regardless of your reason for obtaining an international passport, it is important for you to know that the only way of application is through the Nigerian Immigration Service. Application for an international passport is stratified into three categories namely;
- Citizens By Birth.
- Citizens By Naturalization.
- Citizens By Registration.
If you are yet to apply for the international passport and you are within 18 and above, you should take note of the following requirements:
- Citizens by birth must bring their National ID card. Alternatively, they can provide a letter of identification (for Nigerians who can produce a document of residence/a document from their State and local government) or introduction (for government employees who have a legit staff ID card).
- Citizens by Naturalization/Citizens by Registration must bring their Certificate of Naturalization/Certificate of Registration. This certification can only be issued by the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- All applicants must complete the special form designed for international passports.
- Also, all users have to produce 2 photos (the standard passport size). The pictures/images must be validated by the Guarantor (on the picture’s back).
- The Guarantor will be required to produce some documents. This includes a personal picture or photo (the standard passport size), a copy of his/her ePassport issued in Nigeria. Also, the Guarantor must provide a special form known as the ‘form of Guarantor’, which is filled in and signed by the Oaths’ Commissioner.
- Married applicants should endeavour to provide their official status certificate.
- Applicants must provide an Age Declaration document or Certificate of Birth.
- Proof of payment.
For children (below 18 years)
These are the requirements for an international passport in Nigeria for children below the ages of 18:
- A standard passport-sized photo. The photo must be signed by one or both parents of the child/children.
- A special application form with all the required information.
- Parents must produce proof that there are citizens of Nigeria.
- A birth certificate.
- Proof of payment.
- Letter of consent.
- if the parents are dead/unavailable, a Court Order document will be produced.
These are the requirements to apply for an international passport in Nigeria. If you will be travelling overseas, you will need to have an international passport. Ensure that you meet up with these requirements and also produce the required documents before applying for an international passport.
Thanks to the internet, you can apply for an international passport online in Nigeria. However, if you are planning on applying offline with the aid of an agent, you should know that the process could take longer.
International Passport Online Application
International passport applications are available either online or offline. You’ll get a hard copy of your passport once your application complete.
To get better details of the international passport requirements, we advised that you visit the immigration website in Nigeria.
- Navigate to the website of the Nigerian Immigration Services portal.
- Pick the passport type from the option.
- Choose your country of processing
- Fill up the required information of the application form page
- Make upload of copies of scanned required documents.
- Pick a payment method
- Complete payment
- Then click on the “Submit” button
- You will immediately be issued an Application ID and Reference number to show your application is ongoing.
- Make a print out of Guarantor’s form and get it certified.
- Submit the completed passport application form with all other additional required documents to any of the Nigerian Immigration passport office in person.
International Passport Offline Application
This method takes longer, and you may require to use the service of an agent. In the process of getting an agent or looking for one, you need to be watchful so as not to fall in the hands of fraudsters.
Many times, an official of the Immigration service in Nigeria volunteers to help people through the process of applying for an international passport.
Anyways, it is important to visit the office of the immigration office with your personal documents for screening, data capture and other physical verification that may be required.
Whoever, it is you get in touch with, you need to be quite vigilant.
- How to apply for BBNaija Season 5 audition
- YouWiN connect 2020: Registration & Login Process, Requirements
- How to register an NGO in Nigeria in 2020
- How to obtain unilag diploma; requirements & price
- Top 50 Hotels in Ado Ekiti: Address and prices
- How to Get the New E-Yellow Fever Card in Nigeria
- Due Diligence in Real Estate Transactions