How to check NIN Number online with USSD code
Have you registered with the NIMC for your NIN and are you looking now for how to confirm/validate or check the NIN number for official use? You’ve come to the right page.
What is NIN number?
NIN is a distinctive 11 digit National Identification Number that is uniquely issued by the National Identification Commission (NIMC).
The National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) established in 2010 by the Goodluck Jonathan administration and made a mandatory exercise by the NIMC Act No. 23 of 2007 to register citizens and other persons covered under the Act covers and then issue a distinctive National Identification Number (NIN) to citizens and other persons in the country.
The National Identification Number (NIN) is also compulsory for each citizen and a legal resident in Nigeria.
The NIMC states that the core of each person having a NIN is to create a national database for identity and to stop dual identity fraud and also issue a valid National ID card to citizens. portal, individuals are normally assigned with a TIN based on their BVN (Bank Verification Number) or NIN (National Identity Number). This means that before you can get a TIN as an individual, you must need a NIN or BVN.
But as it is, many people are still unable to have access to the e-ID and they complain about their inability to register meaning the commission is still far from achieving her set objective. NIMC has a USSD shortcode service built to dispense NIN numbers at the convenience of Nigerians.
How to check your NIN using USSD code
For those who have enrolled already and yet to have the e-ID card issued to them, ⠀There is now a dedicated USSD code made available by the National ID card scheme that makes it possible for you to get your NIN number online, you do not need internet to get the code checked.
All you need is a basic mobile with the SIM card you used in registering for your BVN registration and Voter’s card registration. In the next lines below I will show you simple steps to check to use the NIMC USSD code to check your NIN number on your phone.
Steps to use NIMC USSD Code to check NIN on mobile
- Open your CDMA phone with your SIM inserted
- Make sure you have up to ₦20 airtime on your line
- Dial * 346# and follow the onscreen guide
- Select the “NIN Retrieval” option from the menu by entering ‘1’
- Select “NIN Search” option from the menu by entering ‘2’ in a situation you have misplaced your details of registration
- Your National Identification Number (NIN) will be displayed to you.
CAUTION: Be sure you have done this before dialing the code
- Dial from the SIM card that you sued in registering voters card, driver’s license, or Bank Verification number, I expect you use single phone number for all these exercises or any other national registration exercises where your thumbprint is being captured.
- You also need to get a sheet of paper ready to get the NIN number down when it is shown to you on your mobile, you can only get to see it once or pay another N20 and you cannot save the display. For those using smartphones they can use their phones to make a screenshot of the image and have saved on their phone for future references.
- If you have a low battery on your phone, do not dial the code yet until you have recharged.
- The USSD code is currently only available to telecom subscribers on the four major MTN, Airtel, and Glo, and the 9-mobile network.
We hope you find this article on how to check your NIN number on mobile with NIMC USSD code very useful.