Can you open an account online in Nigeria? Yes you can!
It’s 2020 and banking has changed, improved a lot more than what it used to be 5 or 10 years ago, commerical banks in Nigeria (internal link) are now tapping into the sophisticated and advance banking technology to offer more convenience in the way we bank.
Today, you can do virtually all things that has to do with bank transaction from the comfort of your office or home without having to visit the banking hall.
Yes, people are getting busier these days and looking for super fast way to get things done, in this guide I will show you how you can open bank accounts online in Nigeria in simple and easy steps.
Steps to open bank an online bank account
The process is usually very simple, banks have online outlets such as via their websites and dedicated ussd codes to cater for this need. In the next few lines below, we shall consider:
– How to open an account online in the website of your commercial Bank of choice
– How to open an account online using used codes
Firstly,let me give you the list of banks in Nigeria where you can open a bank account online via their website.
List of Banks that allow online account opening
Enterprise Bank Limited
Fidelity Bank Nigeria
First Bank of Nigeria
First City Monument Bank
FSDH Merchant Bank – Merchant Bank
Guaranty Trust Bank
Heritage Bank Plc.
Keystone Bank Limited
Mainstreet Bank Limited
Rand Merchant Bank
Stanbic IBTC Bank Nigeria Limited
Standard Chartered Bank
Union Bank of Nigeria
United Bank for Africa
Unity Bank Plc.
Steps & requirements to open an online bank account
- Use Google search to find your choice of bank’s name and account opening webpage eg type in the Google search bar “first bank + open account online”
- It will immediately show you the result web pages of first bank account opening page, be sure it is not a phishing website, I mean ascertained that you are visiting the original website of the bank and not scammer website who are looking to steal your details
- Follow through the page, usually, you will start with selecting the type of account you want to open, you will need to answer if it is savings, current, student account. (At the moments only personal bank accounts are allowed to be opened by new customers online)
- Once this is done, proceed by entering your naming and Identity details, be sure that all the details you have entered are verifiable and correct
- Where required also fill in your contact details, such as phone number, email address, home address, and more.
- After filling all required information, your account will be processed by the bank and you will get your account number as soon as possible from their end.
However, these type of accounts may come with some limitation in transaction as your identity is yet to be verified, some banks such as First bank will limit your account to student account which can perform a set minimum transaction daily. Student accounts with first bank can take maximum of N300,000 which is quite low.
So if you want a complete bank account with no restrictions and limitation on transactions you will need to make out time to visit your bank with your bank Verification details (BVN) if you already have one, if you don’t you can get enrolled for the process with the bank.
Also you will need to go to the bank with other details such as copies of your identity card usually NIMC card, international passports or driver’s license. Other documents such as birth certificates and passport photograph may also be required.
Once you’ve scaled through all of these processes, you’re ready to start making transaction with your new bank account.
Open account with USSD code
Yes! You can use your bank’s dedicated USSD code to open an account online too, this works well for those who have a CDMA phone with no internet access.
All you have to do is dial the code and respond to the onscreen instruction to get a new account opened.
For list of all USSD codes for banks in Nigeria to open accounts and perform other transactions such as transfer, check balance, buy data or airtime visit this page.
- How to Open Diamond Bank Account Online
- How to check UBA Account Number & Balance on Phone
- How To Get Zenith Bank Token Number
- 10 Best Domiciliary Bank Accounts To Open In Nigeria (2020)
- How to change My BVN phone number online
- What is NUBAN Account Number?
- How to buy airtime from Jaiz bank (USSD Code for Money transfer)