Vanguard Newspaper Nigeria: Historial Facts
Vanguard Newspaper Nigeria, also known as Vanguardngr, is one of the leading print and digital newspapers in Nigeria.
We have compiled some historical facts about the news media, We hope you find it referential.
- Vanguard is a daily newspaper in Lagos, Nigeria, published by Vanguard Media Limited which is the brand name of the publishing company.
- It operates under the mantra “Towards a better life for the People”
- In the early 80’s and early ’90s Vanguard has sister publications namely Lagos Mirror, Lagos Law Directory and Sports Now, Vanguard Yellow Pages, MR and Mrs magazine
- Vanguard Media was founded in 1983 with three friends by veteran journalist Sam Amuka-Pemu.
- The Newspaper now has her own online news publishing outlets @ www.vanguardngr.com
- The newspaper is one of very few that are regarded as independent of state control alongside others like Thisday, The Punch, The Sun and The Guardian.
- Col. Raji Rasaki, Military Governor of Lagos State in June 1990, temporarily banned the paper.
- In December 2008, Pointblanknews.com, based in the United States, published an article alleging that the Publisher of Vanguard Newspapers ‘ wife was involved in human sacrifice for ritual. The Vanguard brought the reporter to court, claiming that he was trying to extort.
- A Niger Delta peace activist applauded Vanguard Newspaper in December 2009 for reporting on the ambitions of the government, which he said aided persuasion of the militants to accept amnesty.
- Kola Animashaun, Dele Sobowale, Pini Jason, Tony Momoh, Bisi Lawrence, Bunmi Sofola, Late Aig-Imoukhuede are some of the many journalists and columnist that has been featured on Vanguard prints.
- Vanguard newspaper’s head office is located in Lagos, South-Western, Nigeria, at 2, Vanguard Avenue, Kirikiri Canal, Apapa, Lagos, Nigeria, Vanguard News can be reached on phone with numbers: 07061078412 and 08023469027
- Publications that are still maintained by the Vanguard media limited include Daily Vanguard, Saturday Vanguard, Allure, Sweet Crude, Hitech, Sunday Vanguard, Financial Vanguard, Sports Vanguard, and Cyberlife.
- Their publications span a wide range of topics ranging from Business, sports, advertising, management, education to Politics.
- Vanguard news has a wider print circulation compared to Punch Nigeria with close to 120,000 daily ahead of Punch at 80,000 daily.
- Vanguard has a well established social media presence, her Facebook page has attracted well over 3.3 million followers and twitter with more than 2 million followers.